Monday, October 06, 2008

tres mesas- pilas!

These are just some pics from by my house.

Well, three months in guatemala. Holy guacamole! literally. There is an avacado tree by my house, and the other day we picked about 50. They are all sitting in my house, waiting to soften up for a kickin guatemalan party...Sorry i dont update often, but hey, i am kind of busy being a missionary, and picking avacados and hauling my butt up and down a million stairs made of rotting concrete on hillsides. i am busy teaching in broken spanish on dirt floors, avoiding amoebas, and letting beautiful brown eyed little chapins play with my blond hair. Its tough to make it to the blog in times like this.The other day we stopped by a family's house and they were hauling cinder blocks up these concrete stairs and then up some rickety wooden stairs to use them to build a wall on their roof i think. who knows what they really build here, but we started hauling them also. we hauled and hauled for like an hour, and got real sweaty and dirty and sore. such a great night. And i saw a huge wierd looking spider, the size of my mano, crawl out from one concrete block i was holding. wow that was fun. Guatemala is so random.But thats all the news i have for you today!just remember, la iglesia es verdadera!!

9 comments:

Dixie & Markus said...

Hey Mare,
Sounds like your having a rockin' time in ol' Guatemala. Lucky you! You live right next to an Avocado tree! Guacamoli all day, every day!
I love the pics of the city. Glad to hear that your spanish is coming along. Miss ye.

Anonymous said...

Love your pictures. SO awesome. You are enduring and doing well on your mission. that is wonderful, and God smiles on you! Glad to see that you have a really nice comp...Angela's cousin ..wow..God is wonderful & makes us feel at home wherever we are..amazing.)Much Love, Marilyn (Carrie & Brian's Mom)

Heidi Michelle said...

Mare-you sure are having an interesting time it sounds like! As am I, because college is interesting...or not! Just the same old same old! But hey, Kierstin's bishop is Scott Wood! How cool is that? I might move into that apartment next semester, so guess who my bishop would be? Love ya!

Jimmy, Diane and Bentley said...

You are so cool. I am so glad you are there. Ha, I just remembered "I've been wading in a velvet sea" with sven outside molly's window. :)

Bonnie said...

i love guacamole, you are so lucky!!! i bet it's pretty creepy to have lots of people playing with your gringo blonde hair. that's hilarious. hope you are doing well!

William Cobb said...

that's an amazing picture. what a cool place to be right now. i'm jealous that you and Angela now know Spanish and I don't yet!

kori said...

sounds like an awesome place to be mare! Hurray for free avacodos!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary!

I am all kinds of jealous of your avocado surplus. But you will be jealous of my amazing joke! The beginning is as follows:

What's the only thing worse than Guatemala?

I will give you the punchline upon request.
LOOOOVE Clarissa

Corey said...

sounds like you are enjoying it out there!!